By volunteering with the Excel Education Foundation, you can make a difference in a child’s life. The Excel Education Foundation is a non-profit foundation committed to supporting and funding children who cannot afford basic education.
As a volunteer you will be able to share your skills and your heart while supporting the over 100 children sponsored by the Excel Education Foundation.
Volunteer Opportunities at EEF
- Home visits to meet, assess and support EEF sponsored children and their caregivers in their homes
- Teaching and/or tutoring English to EEF sponsored children and their caregivers
- Teaching and facilitating handicraft sessions such as sewing, jewelry and beading with EEF children and their caregivers
- Assisting with technological aspects of the EEF program such as photographing EEF events, assisting with online communication and/or providing support for the EEF website
- Assisting in preparing documents and writing grant proposals related directly to the EEF program
- Assisting with the administration of the EEF program such as planning and participating in EEF events for example Family Day, EEF field trips and the Kilimanjaro Health Run and Marathon.
Volunteer Costs at EEF
- Accommodation and Meals at Sunbird House
$300 USD per Week – Months of January, February. March, June, July, August, September, October November and December
$250 USD per Week – Months of April and May
- 3 hot meals a day, local foods to include fruit, veggies, starch side and meat
- Use refrigerator/freezer for personal snacks
- Security night watchman– His name is Beda, he has been with us for years
- Secure & lockable cabinets in shared bedroom/bathroom (bring lock)
- 24/7 support from the EEF Staff while you are in Tanzania during your program time
- Extras at Sunbird House include indoor lounging area with comfortable couches and TV, front and back porches, outdoor sitting area under tree, vegetable garden and an adorable chicken coop.
- Air Travel – Air travel costs will vary for each volunteer
- Tanzanian Government VISA for Volunteers – Approximate cost is $250 USD if acquired in home country or $250 USD if acquired in Tanzania. For the exact cost for the volunteer visa, volunteers need to consult the Tanzanian Embassy in their home country.
- Taxi from Kilimanjaro Airport to Moshi [EEF’s Home Base] – The one hour drive from the airport to Moshi costs a standard $50 USD.
- International Travel Insurance – The costs for international travel insurance will vary for each volunteer
- Personal Spending Money – For leisure and recreational activities
Accommodation and Meals
All EEF volunteers are accommodated at Sunbird House in the district of Rau. Sunbird House is an easy walk to downtown Moshi and is well served by taxis and public transportation such as buses and dala dalas.
The house accommodates nineteen volunteers in single and double rooms. Sunbird House is well maintained. All rooms are cleaned daily and the bed sheets and towels are changed every three days. Traditional Tanzanian meals are prepared for volunteers at breakfast, lunch and dinner time each day.
For more information about booking your stay at Sunbird House visit our website.
Cultural and Travel Opportunities